Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Highly Esteemed

Continuing on in Chapter 9, we'll read verses 20-23.

Daniel had been praying for his country, his people and their freedom. In that prayer he offers up confession for the nation. I think it interesting that such a man of integrity and honor takes on the sin of a nation and asks forgiveness for all of them.

I have done that for my own nation. Not saying I'm as cool as Daniel, but I've confessed to God the sins of my nation and have prayed that He would not lift His hand over us. I truly believe that God has left His hand upon us because of the prayer of the righteous. Daniel's prayer did not fall on silent ears.

An angel came to Daniel, one that he had met earlier, named Gabriel. I want you to read what he says to Daniel and then we'll make some application.

"Daniel, I have now come to give you insight and understanding. As soon as you began to pray, an answer was given which I have come to tell you, for you are highly esteemed."

Before we continue, you may have seen Gabriel appear in another story.

"In the sixth month, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph...the virgins name was Mary. The angel went to her and said, 'Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.'"

This guy must be somebody in the heavenlies to deliver such news!

Did you see what he said to both of them? "You are highly esteemed." and "You who are highly favored."

These regular people, who served the Lord got His attention for no other reason than they believed Him and were faithful. I'm thinking we're not too far from being called such things. In fact...

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God..." 1 Peter 1:9

"...he has made us accepted in the beloved." Ephesians 1:6 KJV

We too are in the beloved of God. We too are those who are now highly favored because Christ lives in us. Our prayer will reach the ear of God and He will stop and listen to the voices of those He loves. No sooner do our prayers leave our lips than God sends as answer. Maybe it doesn't come right away, but you can be sure of this: God does answer.

He turns His ear to those He loves.

"I sought the Lord and He answered me; he delivered me from all my fears....The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles...A righteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all." Psalm 34

Do not think that your Lord does not listen. If you wonder if there is something cramping your relationship, first start like Daniel did and make confession. Then your soul is cleansed and ready for the Holy Spirit to completely fill you, making you more able to hear His word and answer.

Hear His Spirit say to you "As soon as you began to pray, an answer was given which I have come to tell you, for you are highly esteemed."

Take time today to soak in His love for you.

2 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

Thanks, Natalie. I'm SOOOOO glad He loves us!!

Anonymous said...

I didn't think about how Gabriel has always announced favor...What a sweet job, I want to shadow him when I get to heaven!

Linz