Friday, June 13, 2008

Swimming in Green

My kids really like summer. I like it too, except for the heat. Living in Oklahoma there is a plenty of heat to go around. But, it comes with living here so I can't complain. Part of the, well, not part, THE problem is I don't sweat. I seriously don't.

I can drink enough water to save a camel in the Sahara and still maybe, just maybe break a small sweat over my lips. Now, where the sun don't shine, that 's a different story. (have I said too much?)

In order to help with the no sweating issue, we have a swim bag, in order... to go swimming. It's green. And it folds up and snaps into a tiny little bundle. I love that bag.

Did I mention it's green?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, have you noticed the little granny type handbags are back. You know, they're just small enough for that much needed lipstick, keys, gum and a 5 dollar bill. That's about all that will fit in there. I guess they're really called a clutch. My great-granny had bags like that. I likey! I suppose since I can't live without my lipstick, that bag would be needed on the island that I could find myself on all alone someday. Poor me. Still, I would be fashionable.

Swim bag. Clutch. What do they have in common?

Well, nothing, but they make for a great analogy!

The swim bag is green. And what do we typically associate with green-ness? Yep, you guessed it envy.

Another Ugh! Dang! Curses! moment.

We all know we aren't to envy! We all know that we should be happy and content with where God has us, but do we really feel that way all the time deep down inside? Do you ever find yourself ever wishing for something that someone else had. Now, don't get me wrong, just because you find yourself liking something someone else has it doesn't mean you are a person full oF envy. We can totally delight with other people, love what they have and actually it's okay to want it to. If it's a characteristic of someone, great! We want the good things of God in our lives too. The problem is when envy makes us angry at God. Or maybe pouty is a better word.

I recently heard one of THE BEST teachings on the sin of envy that I have ever heard. I was listening to John Piper speak on the disbelief of envy. Wait a second! Disbelief? How did we get to not believing God?

Piper says that envy is two things: 1. we see something someone has that's good. 2. our desire for it is coupled with resentment.

ouch

Our envy is rooted in unbelief because when we resent what others have we are basically saying that God isn't coming through on his promises to ME.

But what is greater than His promises? I think too often I get caught up in His promises and I fail to remember that what He has for me above what He promises me is HIM! Follow?

What He has for me is what He has for me.

What He has for you is what He has for you.

And what he has for us...is Him.

Our lack of faith in Him is reflected when we pout and resent what others have.

Let us not forget that in HIM are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

I know it can be hard. I KNOW! But, and it's a big but, we must trust God beyond what we see. We must believe that He knows what He's doing. We must keep our eyes on heavenly things and not what we think we can't live without here.

He is enough. We have got to get that into the roots of our belief system so that envy is choked out for good.

And what have we been clutching in our hand as we struggle with envy? It's in our black clutch just over there....doubt.

The clutch of doubt will spring up all kinds of sin, one being envy.

Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of those who do wrong (they have it all it seems), for like the grass they will soon wither...trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your
heart. Psalm 37:1-4


bingo

Delighting in the Lord is the key. Don't look over at what she has. Don't whine about what you don't have. Keep your eyes on the Lord. Keep your eyes on the Lord. Learn to find your delight in Him. His promises are true. He will come through.

Your heart might need a makeover and you might find that what you think you desire is just rooted in envy. Delight in Him. Trust Him. And He will give you the desires of your heart.


And right now, I desire I nice dip in the pool.

1 comment:

Kim Heinecke said...

I'll probably need to read this one several times. How quickly I can fall into this trap.