Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Touch on the Lips

We're going to devote this entire day to chapter 10. I want to wrap up this book by Friday and then I can tell you what to look forward to starting next week. Something entirely different!

Now, I really need you to take the time to read through Chapter 10. Just go right over there to YouVersion, type in Daniel 10 and it will take you right to the YouVersion web site, then type in the passage at the top right and clickity-click you're there! Actually, read through 11:1 because that's where it really ends. I'm not sure why the dudes that put verse breaks in these book decided that was a good spot for one, but hey, I'm no Bible scholar.

Here we go.

Daniel has had a revelation concerning a war. We won't get into the revelation until tomorrow, but I have a few things to point out concerning his chat with the angel...or was it?

In verse 2 we see that Daniel didn't handle the news of a great war very well. I doubt I would either. He mourned for THREE WEEKS. He didn't eat, drink, or basically shower either. So, by the time he was through, I'm thinking he didn't look or smell too great.

Then he as a vision. Starting in verse four, here are some of the things he saw:

He was on the bank of the great river, Tigris.
A man dressed in linen with a belt of finest gold.
His body was like chrysolite (not sure what that is, but I'm assuming it's awesome!)
His face like lightning
His eyes like flaming torches
His arms and legs like the gleam of burnished bronze
and His voice like the sound of a multitude.

In other words, this man was spectacular to behold!

Flip your cyber-Bible over to Revelation 19:12-13

"His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood and his name is the Word of God."

I'm thinkin' Daniel had a chat with Jesus himself! It's not strange then that what happened to Daniel was a whirlwind of physical ups and downs!

"...I had no strength left, my face turned deathly pale and I was helpless...I fell into a deep sleep, my face to the ground...a hand set me trembling on my hands and knees...I stood up trembling...I bowed my face toward the ground and was speechless."

Daniel reaction to Who he was talking to shows us that to be touched by Jesus Himself in all His glory is more than we can handle. Thankfully, Jesus knew that!

"Then one who looked like a man touched my lips and I opened my mouth and began to speak. 'I am overcome with anguish because of the vision, my lord, and I am helpless...My strength is gone and I can hardly breathe.' Again the one who looked like a man touched me and gave me strength.' Do not be afraid, O man highly esteemed,' he said. 'Peace! Be strong
now; be strong."

Only the touch by the Almighty can give us strength when we have none. Only the touch by God can get us up on our feet and open our mouths when we feel we can do no such thing. It is only in His presence that we can be all He calls us. It is only by His grace and Power that we can rise up and walk in what He has told us.

Let us not be afraid, but stand in His strength. No matter what you are facing. No matter what challenges will come. We must believe in His strength and power over our own.

Read what Daniel said about his touch, "When he spoke to me, I was strengthened and said, 'Speak, my lord, since you have given me strength.'"

Jesus still speaks to us. His Word is the Living and Active Word that will speak to us in any situation, in any event, at any time. We are told in Ephesians 3:15 to let the Word of Christ dwell in us richly. Also, Jesus said in John 15 that when we let His Word dwell and remain in us we can ask Him for anything and He will do it. Now, don't go asking for someone to die or nothin', keep your head about you. This asking is to bear fruit in our lives because of His Word. It is to His glory that we bear fruit. Fruit that shows we are His disciples.

Remain in Him. Feel His touch lift you up and give you strength. When He speaks His Words are true and right. They will not fail you!

Do not be afraid, o highly esteemed. Peace! Be strong now; be strong.

(Tomorrow we'll talk more about what they actually talked about)

1 comment:

Robin Meadows said...

This is good Natalie! I think too many people never find the strength of the Lord, because they have never stood in His presence....or don't read His Word. And He's RIGHT THERE!

I'll be passing this thought on with someone I'm meeting with tonight!