So, I devised a test. Because there are so many things in us that could stand against the truth of Christ, I tried to narrow it down a bit. Here are 15 things for you to read over. Chances are every one of us can nod our head in agreement to some of them.
Now, all I want you to do today is read over the 15 things and be very honest with yourself. If you can say yes, to I'd say three or more of these, chances are you listen to Me. Ready?
You might be Living with Me if you:
1. Feel annoyed by your actions....often.
2. Belittle and condemn yourself for not being able to maintain a Christ-like attitude.
3. Feel the rush from the applause of others.
4. Feel the pain of failure when others succeed.
5. Feel the shame when you step on the scale.
6. Desire popularity.
7. Fear what people think of you.
8. Feel the need to please others even if it's destructive.
9. Find purpose in busyness.
10. Define yourself by what you do.
11. Preoccupy yourself with what you have and don't have, do and don't do, feel and don't feel.
12. Lack real times of solitude with Christ and real intimacy with His Spirit.
13. No one makes you happy.
14. Can't forgive yourself.
15. Hate yourself.
Remember, this list is not exhaustive, although it may be exhausting. Where are you going with this? you ask. To a place of healing, not judgement. To a place of acceptance, not rejection. I want you to take the time to identify the pain, the reality that yes there is duplicity in our thinking. Yes we struggle with self-hatred and self-loathing. Can we at least admit that the struggle is real, but is it right? Is this duplicity something to hate? Or, is it something to embrace?
I dare say....we'll find out.